Thursday, April 15, 2010

Eagle one


This big chunk of Hackberry was one of four logs I got from some random old guy driving down my street one day while I was carving in my driveway. It was really hard to understand what he was saying, but he wanted to give me logs. Well, I have no shortage of logs and didn't really want them until he said I could cut what I wanted and he'd load them with his backhoe. Load them with a backhoe, I thought ; they must be big. Well they are, I could only take two at a time because I drive a Ford Ranger, so I made two trips. The logs are 18in in diameter and 4 to 5 feet tall weighing around 300lbs, I think. I had to move them by myself twice. Let me just say a fella can move more than he thinks with the right leverage.
Anyway, This is the only one I have carved on yet and it's hard. I roughed it out about 4 months ago and it's been sitting in my driveway getting questions like, is it a bunny, is it an angel, is it a gargoyle which is fine because now I want to carve all of the above, but I must see this one done before changing directions.
The first two pictures are the original rough out work, the last two are almost up to date, minus the work on the tail and legs, that is not shown.

Now it's starting to look like the eagle is landing where I want him. Let me just say I have to sharpen all 4 of my chains which had just been sharpened prior to this 3 hour session. Usually I can get by with two chains.
Doesn't look like much for 3 hours but I'm excited again about this project and that seems to be the most important part, motivation. If I don't like the way it is looking I'm very capable of cutting it's head off and warming myself next to it's burial, but this has only happened once. Usually I can look at it with disgust for a while and then get bored and fix it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, it's gonna be good! I can tell!
    ☺ Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see it; I know it will be great. I can see the eagle already.

    ReplyDelete