Saturday, April 3, 2010

Commission Fishin'

Commission Fishin'A friend from church asked me to carve his neighbor a fish on his walnut stump. I probably would have never attempted to carve a realistic fish, just because I'm not into fish, unless of coarse it's cooked on a plate with a squeeze of lemon. Yum.
This fish is a specific type of fish, which I will not mention in hope that you will guess what it is so I'll know that it looks right. This is important to the project because he was very specific in what he wanted. I told him it would look good or he would get a load of mulch and we don't want anymore stinking mulch.
Man I love walnut, the grain is wonderful and so is the smell.
It's been 3 or 4 months since I've been able to carve with a chainsaw, because of weather, time change and I am a father of 2 small boys as well as a husband which I would like to continue to be. I almost forgot how much I love doing it and thank the Lord, my wife and the weather for letting me do it. Anyway, I'll post the finished project hopefully next weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Looking good. I am eager to see the finished carving. Do you intend to give background sooth or textured finish?

    --
    http://www.TexasWoodcarving.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it a perch/ punkin' seed/ sunfish? I hope I'm right. Those are nicnames we use for perch. Aunt Jerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I guess wrong, is it a Crappe? You know, I'm not a fisherman so I could be way off. Sorry, I just don't know my fish. If it were a flower, I could probably tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Its a crappe or crappie or croppie I'm not sure of of the spelling but I am sure of the anatomy. Don't feel bad about the first guess, I had the arm fin to high and had to move it down an inch.
    Thanks for the support, Rick

    ReplyDelete