Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Floor refinish


Christmas already! Nope, just the best picture of the nasty carpet we had in the living room. This picture is about a year and a half old and trust me, it just got worse. So about a month ago my wife asked me what it would take to get rid of the carpet and refinish the plywood floor underneath, I said, leave town for a weekend hoping that would get me out of it, but it didn't.

Day one: Friday after work. to stay on schedule I had to be ready to stain by Saturday night.
I had to pull tack boards and staples and be ready to sand in the morning.
I didn't know before I tore out the carpet that there was a ton of paint and varnish stains covering the entire 250 sq ft.
Day two: Sand and sand and sand and stain. I can see the original painters in 1958 saying "we don't need no stinkin' tarps, no one in their right minds would finish this plywood floor", oh but I did.
Day three: Poly, sand, poly, sand, poly, poly.
Start time Friday 4pm, end time Sunday 6pm; 50hrs give or take.
The main reason I decided to refinish the plywood underlay is the price. Hardwood flooring is about 3 bucks a sq ft. Of coarse there's always craigslist, but its still 1.50/2.00 per.
This cost .60 per.

The main test was, does the wifey likey.
Oh yes she loves it, and the boy has already scratched it, but that's okay it was cheap, and is rustic so scratches blend right in. (That's what I have to say to keep my sanity).

2 comments:

  1. What a transformation. Auntie likey too. You're such a go-getter; we've done a few things like that, and it IS hard work, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You so fonny! (my best Chinamen accent.) I love the way it turned out!
    ☺ Celeste

    ReplyDelete