Thursday, March 11, 2010

Carving pictures

Here are some of the carvings I've done in the last couple yearsThis a round house carved from Cottonwood bark (pictured above and below). It is hollow with some detail inside which is hard to see in the picture, but you can see in one window and out another.

Below is "Happy creek" one of the few scenes that I have done. I have big dreams of doing a large western street scene and a castle scene but they would take a lot of time and as a father of a 20 month old and a 4 week old time is scarce, and I'm pretty sure their a better investment of my time. Although my carvings don't fuss, but my kids don't collect dust. Okay the kids, Right?
Yes, definitely the kids.

This is spoon and spork I made for my dear sweat mother. She loved to cook, and boy was she good at it. My parents got rid of cable T.V. a couple years back and my dad says mom only lasted a few weeks without the food channel before she went crawling back to the cable company asking for forgiveness. Of course they willing to forget it ever happened for 50 or so bucks a month.

You'll never guess what this is. No its not a duck, it's a hummingbird. A hummingbird on a bamboo skewer. It was hard to get it to hold still. ha ha No seriously it's wood.
Story time; Once upon A time I was making a bear with a chainsaw in my driveway,and I was carving an arrow threw its head so it could be a sign that said "No Huntin". Well, my neighbor came over to see what I was doing and said I should put a strap on the arrow around the back of the head like it was a fake arrow because it was a little graphic, I laughed and said don't worry its not a real arrow.
You know because it's not a real bear either. I ended up carving in the strap because it made me laugh and I really thought it was a good Idea.




Above is a random whimsical castle thingy. Below is a caricature of a cabin in the woods I helped my good friends the Farrars build and gave to them as a Christmas gift a few years ago.



Okay there are a few of the types of things I do. I usually do a type of carving about a half a dozen times then get bored with it and try something new.

1 comment:

  1. I love your carvings, they are so good. I tried my hand at carving when I first got married and I nearly cut off my thumb, so I went back to painting. I get lost in what I'm doing and forget to be careful. I love your bears, they are so cool. I really like the turtle I have your mom gave me,too.

    ReplyDelete