Tuesday, March 9, 2010

BEARNYCOON

This was my first attempt at chainsaw carving last spring. I bought one of the few instructional books on the subject and read it and tried it in my head for about 2 months prior to this. I was so excited when I found some ears in this log. Then I continued to cut away everything that didnt look like a bear cub.
I worked on this well into the night and added texture with the tip of my chainsaw ( which I have refined some, thanks to some attachments and very expensive tools ). I then burnt it with a mini torch ( I now use a pro grade mapp gas torch ) and Walla! we have a cross between a bear, a bunny, and a raccoon. A Bearnycoon, possibly the first ever.
At first I hated it because it did not look like the ones I carved in my head at night while trying to fall asleep for the 2 months prior to this. But now I wouldn't sell it, and I love to sell my carvings.

4 comments:

  1. Bearnycoon, hmmm...sounds like one of those mythical, wish granting creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bearnycoon, but it looks like a bear to me. A real cute one, one you could pet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did u just wing it? draw on the log? not being rude. want to try it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips and very easy to understand. This will definitely be very useful for me when I get a chance to start my blog. centrozom.com

    ReplyDelete